Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Long Overdue!

We have been hard at work for a while on doubles and doubles plus one facts. It gets tedious. Some days we do flashcards, some days it is a worksheet. Some days we do the problems using a manipulative. Today I decided to use a matching game. That way if she knew some problems she could figure out the ones next to them, and some through the process of elimination. This was definitely more fun for her, and went a lot faster too. This game may be in our repertoire for a while.



Fun with home-made geoboards. 


We are learning about congruent shapes.


They liked using nickels to turn it into a Plinko game too. Seriously, who doesn't like Plinko? The Price is Right was a pretty rad show. I soooo wanted to go on there before stupid Drew Carey took over. Remember to have your pets spayed or neutered! But I digress.....



Kelsey really needed extra practice on determining on whether or not a sentence asked a question. I made a 4 day kind of unit lap book thing about questions called Grammar Detectives - Question Clues. We started it today. You are looking at a "secret agent file" Her mission is to use the question clue words to determine if a sentence is asking a question. (You know, Who What, Where, When, ect) This worked like a charm. She has 3 more days of practice on it planned out for the week.


I also decided I had enough of the reading comprehension in the dinky little Phonic books. We still do them, but they are a more minor part now as far as comprehension goes. I now having her doing a whole poster about Junie B. Jones, which is what she is interested in. She will break it down into characters, setting, some reference (title, author), reading response prompts, compare contrast, predict, ect... More fun to come!


Keira also wanted to to a poster. She can tell you a whole silly story about hers, something about Big Baby and flying, and hair everywhere. I don't know, oh and a rainbow curtain that they walk through. If nothing else I have cultivated Imagination in this house with minimal television! They maybe watch 1-2 hours a week, sometimes not even that.


Kelsey working on her main character piece.


As we read we will add more. She seemed to really enjoy this.

And up next, new in History: finally out of Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, ect. and on to.....


Ancient China. 
Ahhhh rivers. If you were an ancient civilization you lived near one, preferably two!


New place, means new lapbook!



Still in Physics for Science. She is hard at work on her poster about energy.


Today's work:


I am getting better finally at time management! I have this entire week prepped out, and that includes 2 really big projects, with the Junie B. as well as the Grammar Detective File. I also have very little left from my CSA, which is nice, I literally felt like for a while we were just bringing them home so they could rot, and then we could throw them away in a panic when Wednesday came and it was time to pick up more veggies. This means I have been making meals again, which is really nice. I started to hate going out!

No comments:

Post a Comment